Once fit, I knew I'd return - Nehra

Once fit, I knew I'd return - Nehra

Two operations each on his right and left ankles. Stress fractures of the back. "And other freak injuries. And some other injuries that had nothing to do with fitness." Ashish Nehra has been to hell and back. For two years between his comeback and the last time he played for India, a period almost four years long, he says he didn't even watch cricket on TV.

"Half the time I was in South Africa, some time in England, some time in Australia. When India were winning the World Twenty20, I was in Munich," Nehra said. South Africa for ankle surgery, Munich for a back fracture, Australia for other treatment. "At some level it was a conscious decision too, it can get frustrating."
Nehra doesn't seem to be as temperamental now as he used to be. Peace with his body seems to have helped make peace with his mind. He has also been a godsend for MS Dhoni, who has lost the services of Zaheer Khan watched Ishant Sharma's form dip considerably. Ironically it was Zaheer, out because of injury, who used to tell Nehra, along with Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan, that he was not out on form but because of fitness.

Dhoni now has at least one go-to man in the opening overs, the batting Powerplay, and at the death. "Slowly, day by day, I have grown in confidence," said Nehra. "I am feeling good, and enjoying it more every passing day. I am enjoying the responsibility too. It's tough to bowl in the Powerplays, but I have been bowling three-three overs then. I feel good that the team is giving me responsibility, and thinks I am good enough."

Nehra has got a taste of what he had missed in the last four years, and is enjoying it fully. He doesn't want to get too excited and start thinking of Tests already. "I want to take it series by series. I could get injured tomorrow also. It's also possible I play the next eight months without any injury."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

copyright Oxkoon Inc.