In Defense Of Block-Heads


Less? No, I think more is more. Lately I’ve been loving the assortment of color-blocked pieces I’ve been seeing at the market, from clothes to accessories and shoes. They’re anything but plain, but much easier to wear than you might expect. Three, four colors to a piece—no problem. Take this coat I saw yesterday from the new Italian line USAI. The label has 40 years of experience manufacturing military uniforms, and I’m excited for its entrance into the civilian market. With leather, shearling, bouclé, and canvas panels, it’s got a lot going on, but the combination of neutrals means it will go with beige outfits as easily as navy or gray; I could see it with jeans as easily as with any of the great new Gap pants I saw this week. Same with this Celine multi-leather and python bag; I can wear it with whatever, which will save me from changing bags as many times as I usually do during the week. To finish it off, there’s Derek Lam’s bootie, available now. It’ll bring the sporty feel to the Theory silk shirtdress that I’ll be wearing nonstop this summer. These color-blocked pieces will add spice to any outfit. My only caveat: Don’t wear them all at once.

USAI shearling jacket, $1,750, available this Fall at Stanley Korshak, Dallas, (214) 871-3600; Celine multi-leather hobo bag, price on request, available this fall at Barneys New York, (212) 826-8900; Derek Lam buffalo leather Myrna shoe, $890, available at

0 comments:

Post a Comment

copyright Oxkoon Inc.