Hoy already eyeing No.11

Olympic hero looking for more success in Copenhagen

Hoy already eyeing No.11

Hoy: tenth World Track title

    With a tenth Track Cycling World Championships title now in his possession, Sir Chris Hoy has set his sights on rapidly securing number 11.

    The 34-year-old four-time Olympic champion emerged victorious in the men's keirin on day two in Copenhagen, recovering well having been left on the floor as his heat began following an opponent's illegal move.

    Having clinched a third world keirin title in four years - the only honour missing because he was absent 12 months ago with a hip problem - Hoy will now rest up ahead of this weekend's men's sprint in which he is expecting a real battle to reclaim the crown from Gregory Bauge of France.

    "(The keirin win) is great for confidence," Hoy stated. "I certainly ride on morale and when my morale's up, that's when I get the best out of myself.

    "There's no pressure on me now, the sprint is going to be a really hard challenge but it's one I'm looking forward to, so bring it on."

    Hoy's victory was Great Britain's first gold of the championships and he believes, with their duck now being broken, the team can go on to add further successes.

    Pressure

    "It takes a bit of the pressure off, because although the performances of the team have been excellent, we haven't won a gold medal yet," he added.

    "It's good to take a bit of pressure off the rest of the team.

    "I'm still proud of everybody, there have been some amazing performances so far and it doesn't give us any cause for concern for the future.

    "We know we've got a lot of hard work to do but so does every other nation."

    As for the landmark of 10 world titles - three more than the next best Briton, Beryl Burton - Hoy said: "It's fantastic.

    "I think it makes it more special to be back here again where I won my first world title eight years ago.

    "I would never have predicted then that I'd be back here in eight years time, let alone to win a 10th title, so I'm delighted."

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    copyright Oxkoon Inc.