Murray: Cup conscience clear

Scot believes he should not be obliged to represent Great Britain

Murray: Cup conscience clear

Murray: Lloyd wrong

    Andy Murray believes it was wrong for John Lloyd to criticise him for not committing to the Davis Cup.

    Lloyd, who relinquished the captaincy in the wake of Great Britain's humiliating defeat in Lithuania last month, has always believed Murray should make the team competition a priority.

    But while the world number four says his career as an individual must come first, he does not feel he has let his country down by skipping matches.

    Indeed, Murray played against Poland last year despite a wrist injury, although his presence could not stop the team from losing 3-2.

    "I can understand to a certain extent that everyone would like me to play in the Davis Cup because obviously we've got a better chance of winning," he said.

    "But the last tie I played in Davis Cup, I was injured. I played through the match when I was injured and it set me back probably double the amount of time that it would have done if I hadn't played.

    "No one talks about that side when you're playing through matches when you're hurt and it sets you back and then you drop ranking points.

    "I don't see John coming out and having a go at (Roger) Federer or Rafa (Nadal) or (Andy) Roddick or whoever, the guys that don't play Davis Cup all of the time either.

    "I think there needs to be a bit of perspective there that it's not just me missing the Davis Cup tie. There are some guys that play very, very few matches that are a lot better players than me.

    "I need to make a decision what's best, not only just for the team but also my own career as well."

    The Lawn Tennis Association appeared to accept it would be better for Murray to concentrate on his singles career until his team-mates proved they could offer him meaningful support at a higher level.

    And the Scot firmly believes the LTA deserves a higher return on its investments in young players.

    "On the women's side, it's actually way better than it has been in quite a few years," he added. "But the men's side needs to get way, way better. The amount of money that's invested and spent in the game, we, as a nation, deserve better results."

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    copyright Oxkoon Inc.