Is the pill making you ill?

As the Pill celebrates its 50th birthday this year, it's still hitting the headlines - but for all the wrong reasons. Recent studies have shown that, in some cases, the contraceptive pill is actually playing havoc with our bodies, from increasing the risks of some cancers, stroke and headaches, to affecting our sex drive and even altering the kind of men we find attractive.

"It may seem like it's convenient, but the truth is we're playing with fire," warns Jane Bennett, co-author of The Pill: Are You Sure It's For You? (Orion, £7.99).

"Studies have shown that long-term Pill use is linked to all sorts of problems, including blood clots, stroke, breast and cervical cancer and depression. The reality is our whole lives can be twisted by taking the Pill," she says.

Although this may sound extreme, the science speaks for itself. The Pill contains huge doses of synthetic hormones - around four times stronger than your natural levels at their peak in your cycle - which prevent ovulation by fooling your body into thinking it's permanently pregnant.

Pharmaceutical companies list the side effects caused by the Pill, as required by law, but increasingly experts believe the combined effect of taking it over a number of years causes a toxic build-up of synthetic hormones. Many of us will remember the blood-clot scare back in 1995 but, more recently, experts have been discovering new problems associated with taking the Pill. In fact, internet forums are full of anecdotes - both negative and positive - of women's experiences of a whole range of brands, such as Dianette and Cilest.

When Holly Grigg-Spall, 27, a journalist from Canterbury, needed contraception, she chose the Pill.

"I asked for Yasmin because I'd heard it can help clear up skin problems," she says. And it did - although that wasn't the only change Holly noticed.

"I began to get spells of extreme rage. It was like I turned into a different person. If my husband Guy was working late, I'd have intense panic attacks, and feel deeply that something terrible had happened to him," she explains. "Gradually these feelings began to dominate, and I became depressed and confused. My work suffered, I couldn't concentrate and, looking back, it almost ended our marriage. There were a couple of really low points when I actually considered suicide."

After six months, Holly began to wonder if her symptoms could be connected to her contraceptive pill. "I'd been on it sporadically since I was 17, and I realised that I hadn't felt right every time I used it," she says. "I felt the effects were getting worse the longer I continued taking it. So about four months ago, I decided to stop. For the first couple of months, my emotions were still all over the place, but now I'm back to the balanced, happy me again.

"I didn't talk to a doctor, but in the few months since I've stopped taking the Pill, I've felt clearer, sharper and I'm no longer depressed. Guy has certainly noticed the difference."

Holly's experience comes as no surprise to menstrual health expert Alexandra Pope. "I've spoken to many women who have described similar symptoms to Holly's while on the Pill - they feel anxious, suffer panic attacks and intense low moods," says Alexandra. "There's an epidemic [cont over] of depression out there, and mood disorders are listed as a side effect in a lot of new research into the Pill."

In fact, an Australian study* found Pill users had a greater likelihood of developing depression compared to non-users.

So is it time to bin the pills? Definitely not, says fertility expert Dr Peter Bowen-Simpkins. "The Pill's safety record is incredibly good and it still deserves its place as the most popular contraceptive choice for young women," he says.

While some studies have made links to an increased risk of breast and cervical cancer, Dr Bowen-Simpkins points out that others have found the Pill reduces the chances of developing ovarian and womb cancers. "The fact is, every contraceptive method has some sort of risk - you need to talk to your doctor and think carefully about what method is suitable for you," he says.

But there are other factors to consider - you might not want a baby now, but what about in the future? A study in the journal Human Reproduction found it took women who'd been on the Pill long-term twice as long to get pregnant as those who'd used condoms.

So why is the Pill still being popped by 25 per cent of UK women under 50 - and 64 per cent of 20 to 24 year olds?

The advantages are clear. It's easy, discreet and reliable - there's less than a one per cent chance of pregnancy on it. It can also help with irregular or heavy periods and reduce acne.

But its popularity is also due to women not giving their contraception much thought.

"Around one in three UK women spends less than five minutes selecting her contraception," says Julie Bentley, chief executive of the Family Planning Association (FPA). "We spend days hunting for a perfect dress - we should put as much time into contraception."

There are many different types of Pill, and it's important you choose the one that's right for you. Contraceptive clinics, your GP, and the FPA helpline and website can all help you make the right decision. You should regularly visit your GP to check your current contraception is still the most suitable.

It's up to each one of us to decide whether the Pill is right for our needs, but Alexandra Pope thinks we should still be cautious. "Women need more information and to get more in touch with their bodies," she says. "If they know the risks and alternatives, and still decide to go on the Pill, at least they're likely to be more alert to any problems."

'A blood clot almost killed me'

Sarah Ditcher (right), a 19-year-old student from Southampton, suffered a blood clot in her brain in January 2009 after taking the contraceptive pill for just six months.

"Shortly after breakfast one morning a really strange feeling came over me. It felt like my eyes were moving from side to side on their own, completely independently of my body. My chest tightened with fear and then everything went black.

When I woke up, I was in Southampton General Hospital. The doctors told me I'd had a life-threatening seizure. I was even more upset to discover that my family had arrived to see me having a second fit - one so bad that I bit through my tongue. The consultants ruled out epilepsy and, because I was otherwise healthy, they sent me for a CT scan. It showed I had a clot that was preventing blood flowing to my brain.

The doctors told me I could have died or been left badly brain-damaged. I later found out I have a blood condition called Prothrombin, which makes me more at risk of thrombosis. Taking the Pill further increased the danger and this then caused my blood clot.

I thought I was being responsible by going on the Pill, but I won't go near it again."

Dr Peter Bowen-Simpkins, spokesman for the Royal College Of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and women's reproductive health charity Wellbeing of Women, says: "If you take the Pill you are more at risk of getting a blood clot. So if you're going on a long-haul flight, for example, which is a risk factor in blood clots, you should get up and move around. But this is very rare, and affects mostly smokers, the very overweight and those with a family history of thrombosis."

A 2009 study in the Netherlands* found that women on the Pill were five times more at risk of blood clots - but the condition still affects less than one in 1,000 users.

The Pill: Highs and lows of 50 years

'60s: The Pill launches in 1960 in the US and 1961 in the UK. Users rise from 50,000 to 1 million between 1962-69.

'80s: The number of users plummets as research suggests links with breast cancer, stroke, heart attack and blood clots.

'90s: abortions and pregnancies. A number of deaths and illnesses are reported relating to Femodene, taken by 400,000 British women.

Noughties: Research suggests the Pill could be affecting which men we fancy, making us swoon over guys with more feminine faces rather than rugged hunks.

YOUR CONTRACEPTION: Should you stick or switch?

Answer these questions to see if you need a contraception overhaul:

Are you likely to be having new partners?

If you are, whatever form of contraception you choose, you should always use condoms too, in order to protect yourself from STIs and HIV.

Would you prefer to stop having periods?

It's worth thinking about the progesterone-only pill or three-monthly injection.

Would you like to control your periods?

Sticking with the Pill or contraceptive patch is your best bet for this. You will know exactly when you're due for a bleed and, if you want to skip a period, simply miss out your pill or patch-free week.

Do you keep forgetting to take your pill?

Why not consider a form of long-acting reversible contraception (LARC), such as the IUS, IUD, implant or injection? Mirena (IUS) is becoming more popular. A small T-shaped plastic device is inserted into the womb by a doctor or nurse. It makes your periods lighter and pain-free while you're on it and fertility returns within a month or two. Alternatively, the Vaginal Ring is the latest contraceptive device on the market. A small, soft plastic ring is placed inside your vagina on the first day of your period. It releases synthetic hormones, which prevent ovulation. You then remove it 21 days later and leave it out for seven days while you have a period.

Would you prefer not to take hormones?

Opt for the IUD, diaphragms, caps or male and female condoms.

Do you want to get pregnant soon?

Go for a method that is easily reversible - steer clear of the injection, as it can take longer for your fertility to return. And doctors recommend waiting between one and three months after your first Pill-free period before trying to conceive, so your body can settle down - although many women say their bodies needed longer.

Are you absolutely sure you don't want any more children?

It may be time to consider sterilisation - the most effective form of contraception, along with Mirena. You don't have to worry about forgetting it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

copyright Oxkoon Inc.