Deacon wary of Odsal return

Wigan player returns to his former club for the first time


Deacon wary of Odsal return

Deacon: Bulls legend


    Paul Deacon will be hoping for a warm reception from the fans when he returns to Bradford as a Wigan player on Friday night.

    The scrum-half departed Odsal after 12 years at the club after the opportunity to play for his home-town side proved too good to turn down.

    Former Bulls team-mates Leon Pryce and Stuart Fielden received a hostile welcome when they played at Odsal for the first time since moving to St Helens and Wigan respectively, but Deacon hopes his long association with the club means more to the Bulls faithful.

    "My situation is completely different," he said. "I hope people understand the reasons I left. I tried to make that clear at the time but the move came out of the blue and it had to be done quick.

    "I was glad to see them sign such a world-class player as Matt Orford (as a replacement) so both parties were happy.

    "I'd like to think I'll get a warm welcome. Part of me will always be at Bradford. I had 12 wonderful years there and enjoyed every minute of them. It will be strange walking into the away dressing room, without a doubt."

    Bradford coach Steve McNamara believes the goalkicking scrum-half, who appeared in six Grand Finals with the Bulls and broke the club's scoring records, will have nothing to fear on his return.

    "He will get a warm reception because he was tremendous for us," said McNamara.

    "He didn't really get a chance to say goodbye because he left in the close season and we will welcome him and his family back but come Friday night it's business as usual for the Bulls."

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    copyright Oxkoon Inc.