GOLF NEWS
Picture
Davies - went round in 62 on Sunday.

DAVIES' DELIGHT AT NEW RECORD

Local hero Rhys Davies treated his fans to a course record 62 in the Celtic Manor Wales Open, and admitted: "I enjoyed every second of it."

The 25-year-old from Bridgend - a European Tour rookie - carded six birdies, two eagles and just one bogey to finish 12 under par, three shots behind winner Graeme McDowell.

While this year's Ryder Cup, back on the Celtic Manor 2010 course in early October, might prove tantalisingly beyond Davies' reach, Welsh golf has undoubtedly discovered a new star.

The former Glamorgan academy cricketer produced a round to match his dazzling attire of orange shirt and white trousers, collecting £200,000 for his efforts.

Former Ryder Cup captain Ian Woosnam is the only Welshman to win a European Tour event in Wales - the 1983 British Masters and 1990 Epson Grand Prix - but Davies' time will surely come.

That McDowell needed a score of no worse than 65 to avoid facing Davies in a play-off said everything about the runner-up's scorching round.

In the end, McDowell carded a 63, but Davies had left a lasting impression on this year's tournament - and possibly current Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie.

"I tried to push a little too hard yesterday, and I was mindful of that, so I went out with a really relaxed attitude and was going to accept anything that came my way," said Davies, who now sets his sights on the US Open at Pebble Beach later this month.

"I knew I was playing well and I felt there was a good round in me.

"It didn't cross my mind winning the tournament, but at eight under, I birdied nine, 10 and 11, then I looked at the leaderboard and I was top, which was both surprising and pleasing.

"If I am honest, if I thought I would have shot 62 I think I would have fancied winning the tournament, so all credit to Graeme, who has gone and done something very similar.

"Major championships and big world events are always tournaments I've set my mind to and wanted to go and play.

"I wanted to do it as soon as possible in my career to give myself the most experience I could.

"For the remainder of the season now I can pretty much plan and prepare to play the biggest tournaments, and that's really exciting for me."

And what of the Ryder Cup on home soil?

"It's not a thought, simply because it is still so early in my career. I am very good at taking things week by week," he said.

"I have improved a lot in a short time, but if I am honest, I always felt I could do so and have been doing so.

"For the latter stage of my amateur career, I was playing some really good golf and it hadn't quite shown up in the early stages of my professional career.

"That often happens when people turn pro. There are things you have to adapt to and adjust, and the standard is that much higher.

"But I am constantly improving, and that's all I want to do. I feel that every year, since about the age of 15, I've got better, and that is all I am striving to do."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

copyright Oxkoon Inc.