Roach: We'll stop Clottey

Trainer confident Pacman can secure fifth win inside the distance

Roach: We'll stop Clottey

Roach: Predicting a stoppage

    Freddie Roach believes Manny Pacquiao can win a fifth consecutive fight inside the distance by stopping Joshua Clottey on Saturday night.

    Pacquiao has won at three different weight classes in that time and defends the WBO welterweight title he won by defeating Miguel Angel Cotto last November.

    However, in Clottey the Filipino arguably faces his stiffest test yet with Ghanaian being notoriously difficult to hit having never hit the canvas despite suffering three losses in a 36-fight career.

    Not only that, but New York-based Clottey is the naturally bigger man who is certain to weigh significantly more than his opponent on the night.

    Nonetheless, trainer Roach - who correctly predicted stoppage wins for Pacquiao against Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton - believes his man will rise to the challenge once again, in the first fight to be staged at the Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.

    "There's no stage big enough for Manny Pacquiao," Roach said. "He loves it, and I love it. He's going to perform for the crowd. He'll entertain all 45,000. He'll entertain everybody.

    "Blocking punches doesn't win fights," Roach said of Clottey's defensive style. "I think we can stop him in the late rounds. The accumulation of punches he'll be taking in this fight he's never seen before.

    "I don't think he'll be able to handle it."

    However, Clottey believes he has the answers to what Pacquiao will throw at him, even though he has not studied the tapes of his recent wins.

    "I don't like doing that," Clottey said. "I know his style, I know the way he moves, the way he throws punches, so it doesn't matter.

    "I study myself. I watch my own fights. I know what I have to do."

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    copyright Oxkoon Inc.