Rooney wants Becks status

Striker remains modest as he approaches Ronaldo target

Rooney wants Becks status

Rooney: Keen to emulate Beckham

    Manchester United and England star Wayne Rooney hopes to continue improving in order to reach a similar iconic status to that of David Beckham.

    The lavish praise afforded to Rooney this season has hit new levels after the striker scored twice in the UEFA Champions League demolition of AC Milan in midweek to take his tally through the 30-goal barrier.

    However, the 24-year-old does not think he is yet at the legendary level of on-loan Milan midfielder Beckham, formerly of United, who received standing ovations when he entered and left the field at Old Trafford.

    Rooney would be content if he receives only half the adulation of his England team-mate, but, as he prepares for Sunday's Premier League meeting with Fulham, he also hopes that time is on his side.

    "David Beckham was a great servant for this club and we were all delighted with the reception," said Rooney.

    "I have plenty of years ahead of me but if I can get half the plaudits he has I will be very happy."

    Speculate

    Meanwhile, Rooney refuses to speculate on reaching Cristiano Ronaldo's phenomenal 42-goal total from two years ago.

    "I am delighted with 30 goals. Hopefully I can kick on from here and try to get more," he added.

    Rooney also has a novel explanation for why he is scoring so many goals with his head this season.

    "It's coming off my bald patch and that's helping me score," he said. "I have been working on my heading a lot and thankfully it's paying off."

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    copyright Oxkoon Inc.