Ken wipes out Whirlwind

Former champion beats crowd favourite in World Championship qualifying

Ken wipes out Whirlwind

Doherty: Step closer to Crucible

He's a great character and we're good mates. I was nervous playing Jimmy, we played three times last year and he beat me every time. I'm delighted to get through but in these matches friendship goes out the window.

Ken Doherty
Quotes of the week


    Six-time beaten finalist Jimmy White will not make a return to the Crucible this year after he was thumped 10-3 by former champion Ken Doherty in World Championship qualifying in Sheffield.

    47-year-old White joined former champion John Parrott in missing out on the World Championship proper this year, as they both came unstuck in the tough qualifying tournament.

    'The Whirlwind' did show some glimpses of his old form as he rattled in a break of 103 in the first session, but that was his only frame early on as Doherty raced into a 5-1 lead, and never looked back.

    1997 Crucible champion Doherty finished 6-3 ahead, and continued where he left off in the second session as he soon took the four frames needed to cruise to a 10-3 success that takes him one game away from a Crucible return.

    After playing beyond midnight on Wednesday to beat Mark Boyle, and all-but keep his place on the Tour for next season, White looked to have little left as the game wore on.

    Tired

    "I was really tired, absolutely knackered," said White after the defeat. "I was up for it but there was nothing there.

    "When I had chances nothing happened. I missed an easy ball to go 3-2 instead of 4-1. I was just a bit flat and Ken punished me when I made school boy errors."

    Dubliner Doherty lost his 15-year run of making the Crucible with a qualifying loss last year, and now the world number 44 must beat Joe Swail on Monday to get back to the famous old venue.

    Doherty took no pleasure in ending White's Crucible dream, but is delighted that his own plan to make the first round proper remains in tact.

    "It was a horrible draw for both of us as we're good friends," Doherty toldworldsnooker.com. "If Jimmy's playing I want him to win and he does the same for me.

    Mates

    "He's a great character and we're good mates. I was nervous playing Jimmy, we played three times last year and he beat me every time.

    "I'm delighted to get through but in these matches friendship goes out the window.

    "The next match is a tough one too as Joe (Swail) and I are good friends but you have to have tunnel vision.

    "I'm on the come-back trail, I want to be playing at the Crucible not sat on the couch talking to JP (John Parrott) or Steve (Davis)."

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    copyright Oxkoon Inc.